Side-Event on “Addressing Social Protection for Girls Empowerment in Ending Child Marriage” at the
63rd Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
11 – 22 March, 2019 United Nations Headquarters, New York
The CSW was a great platform for the AUC to present the progress made thus far towards the protection of children’s and women’s social rights in the continent. The side-event brought together various stakeholders from other AUC departments, Member States and partners alike.
The key highlights of the event include the following:
- Sharing of progress pertaining to the implementation of national level strategies developed to combat child marriage
- Despite the increased commitment to address child marriage at a political level, the urgency to galvanize more member states support was emphasized
- Reiteration of commitment by Member States and partners to enhance collaboration for ensuring social protection for girls
- Global launch of the joint AUC, UN Women and Plan International publication entitled " Marriage Laws in Africa- A Compendium from 55 AU Member States"
- It was agreed upon to disseminate the compendium on Marriage laws in Africa